Old 03-25-2010, 06:29 PM   #4
Hot Stuff x
FNG

First Name: Les
Trading: (4)
Cohiba Army (Retired)
Hot Stuff x is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Edgestar 28 Score!!

Regarding drawers/shelves, you'll need to leave some room at the bottom and top of your humi. The bottom will need a shallow container to catch condensation. The top has the light bulb and controls, so you can't crowd that too much.

I installed a couple computer fans in mine, one at the bottom (sitting on one of Chasden's cedar shelves) blowing up, and another at the top rear (on a cedar shelf) blowing toward the door. This helps keep the humidity even. Some people spread their beads throughout the vinodor, but mine are mostly at the bottom, with a few at the top for balance, so I think I need the fans more than some others might.

The shelves that have fans on them have enough room to allow a couple boxes to sit on them. But I mostly buy bundles and samplers, so I need drawers. If have a bunch of boxes you can just buy shelves and store all your 'gars in boxes, but drawers are very cool and convenient.

You will have a choice of drawer designs....either single height or double height; solid bottom or slotted, and glass top or no glass. After discussions with Chuck (Chasden), I went with solid bottom and glass top. This setup will keep your 'gars humidified, but also protects against swings in humidity.

Note that a double drawer holds more than twice as much as a single. A single drawer will hold a single layer of cigars. A double will hold 3-4 layers.

Decide how much space you need for boxes (for which you will need at least 2 shelves, one top and one bottom). Then whatever space you have left over you can use for drawers.

When planning my vino setup I did a rough drawing of the vinodor (just a rectangle with lines showing where the shelf slots are located) and numbered the slots to figure out what would go where. I ended up with a shelf on the bottom slot (beads and water-catcher underneath), two empty slots, a double height and 4 single height drawers, then another shelf so I could stack stuff on top. Later I figured out I should have ordered two doubles and two singles (becuase the single height drawers don't hold enough).

So my setup ended up looking something like this:

______________________ >shelf
Single Drawer
Single Drawer
Single Drawer

Double Drawer

______________________ >Shelf
Beads Water Dish Beads