View Single Post
Old 01-28-2011, 09:54 AM   #42
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Accuracy of salt test calibration

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjavanish View Post
You're right.

And I think we're on the same page and trying to make a similar point.

I can simplify my rantings to this:

We could all probably afford more experience when it comes to cigars.

So to the point... I would encourage new enthusiasts (and even some old ones) to develop their experience through their senses (ie. feel)... and testing and hygrometers so that they too one day can pick up a BBF or a FFOX or whatever their "fave" may be... and know simply by feeling it if it's right to smoke... rather than simply trying to rely on the tests and hygrometers.

That being said... you can ALWAYS rely on Shilala's beads to keep a perfectly measured humidity.

I also feel like that's one of the coolest parts of the cigar lifestyle... and unfortunately I think a dying part... the next time you get ready to smoke your favorite stick... pick it up... feel it... smell it...take a close look at the veins and the coloring... even listen to it as you slightly apply pressure to the area just below the cap to check its elasticity. Using all of your senses to examine and enjoy your smoke will really enhance your experience. At least it does for me.
Amen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayner123 View Post
How many times have you done this and found it not to be where you like it and still went ahead and smoked it?
Good question, and that kinda goes to NJ's point.
For me, I go "dammit, these ain't ready yet", and pick something else. If I really, really want the one I wasn't happy with, I'll smoke it anyways, but only if it's within a certain "window".
If they ain't ready, they just ain't ready. That's just me, though. If a guy likes their stuff real wet, then they can go ROTT all the time. I just don't like wet stuff, and my like for dry stuff just gets drier and drier.

Thing is, I wouldn't know the difference between wet and dry were it not for guys teaching me. I think we use hygros and stuff as the best possible way to translate our senses to each other when we can't be in each other's presense. I know I'd learn a lot more in a day with a seasoned BOTL playing in his humi than I can in a year fighting with hygrometers.