View Single Post
Old 10-23-2012, 07:24 AM   #3504
jjirons69
Haberdasher

First Name: Jamie
Trading: (94)
LGC
jjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: What's in your smoker?

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLS View Post
So you throw all the different kinds of meat together in a skin purse and sauce it? I guess I never really
understood how whole hog was done or judged. You can learn a lot in this thread. I thought they
walked up to your hog and sampled from the various areas for taste.
It all depends on the venue. Some places come by and take the samples themselves from different areas of your hog. This ensures you didn't prepare something last week to submit for judging, but ended up with a chitty hog the day of the contest. Some places also test the temp as they come around to make sure the pork is within temp specs. Some allow you to take you own samples. I've also seen hogs barely tampered with, meaning all the bones are left in and the beast sauced and served that way. The vast majority of teams debone, pull the pork, remove fat and gristle, and sauce. This way you can get a piece of loin, ham, shoulder, etc. in a single serving. Also with different venues are heat levels. We know certain events like a sweet, milder pork. We know some like a hot, vinegary sauce.

And do I shag? Not the dancing type!