i wish i was geRRy...

First Name: geRRy
Trading: (7)
ERdM
The Professor has disabled reputation
Default Re: Photography Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by longknocker View Post
You're Welcome Anytime, Bro! I Inadvertantly Had the VR "Off" On My Nikon Lens, So I Probably Did Have Some Camera Shake. I Usually Have That Problem. The Shots were on "Auto" Mode, just About Daylight. Thanks! Anything Else I Should Work on?
Something that's made a HUGE difference for me (as far as I still have to go/grow) is this: take the camera off "auto" mode. If you have it on auto, you don't gain a sense of what different apertures, shutter speeds, and ISOs do to the image. Ricky/12stones threw me into a whole new world when he was up here for our her in October. I was running the auction and needed someone to take over the shooting. He immediately took it off auto, turned the flash off, adjusted the various settings, and I was totally shocked by the results. I don't know that I've used "auto" more than once or twice since then.

Sure ... you'll get a lot of crap shots; but that's part of the learning process.

Another thing: shoot in RAW and use the Nikon RAW processing software or one of the Adobe products (Lightroom or Adobe Camera RAW, which is part of Photoshop/Bridge). Aside from snapshots, the JPEGs aren't as useful. With RAW, you have a lot more control over your image in post-processing and are able to correct things that wouldn't be possible with JPEGs.

Finally, join a good photography forum. I'm becoming a fixture on a Canon one. While I can't recommend a specific Nikon one, I know there are one or two out there (because I've heard them mentioned by Nikon folks).

Have fun!!!!!

Join the CA Lottery (clicky). It's fun!!!
The Professor is offline   Reply With Quote