View Single Post
Old 01-14-2014, 12:15 PM   #3450
OLS
Suck It

First Name: Brad
Trading: (19)
Bolivar AirForce (Served With Honor)
OLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Photography Thread

Ehhh, got a 50mm1.8 D Nikkor in today, and it had a grindy focus throw. It was 60 bucks, not cheap, but not bad
for this lens. It did not STATE that it was grindy, but I found it that way when I got it in. Generally, I would just
box it back up, spec the problem for them and get my money back. But I have wanted to disassemble one of these
for some time. So I did. Looks like it has been to Destin. Lots of bits of sugar white sand in there. It is in the
helicoids, so if I want to really fix it I am going to need to COMPLETELY disassemble it. Rather than take a $60 lens
and turn it into a pile of worthless bits and pieces, I went ahead and assembled it back to where I started. Got a lot
of grit out of it, but now the spot JUST before infinity is almost a dead stop, so I am gonna have to work out whether
or not I want to take it apart again later under better light with better eyeglasses. I have some lithium grease that I can
use on the helicoids, but man, I am not sure I want to go ALL THE WAY on this one.
OLS is offline   Reply With Quote