View Single Post
Old 11-25-2009, 07:13 AM   #6
Joseywales

Default Re: Let's try this: What air filter are you using?

I had a lenghty discussion with a doctor last night, who has allergies, etc. He, too, was talking about a 2 step process.

Allerair 4000 (without the UV bulb), is probably the best route to go to attempt and getting a 2 for 1. It has a pre-filter, a HEPA filter, and 12 pound carbon filter. (16-18 pound of carbon would probably be best). Looks like R2D2 and it would turn my 400sqf room 6 times in an hour (8x would be better). Although he was selling a different ($500) used unit for $140, he felt the Allerair would do the trick and practically offered to give one to me. Still, it's $330 in filters to get it up an running.

Still, any recommendations you see don't really take into consideration cigar smoke. And it is a different animal. I tend to agree more that you need to remove as much of it as possible, before trying to treat it. I'm not big on removing odors. I want to prevent them.

we bought our house, the original owner had smoked in it for 13 years. I rented two commercial ionizers and locked the house down for 48 hours. I periodically returned to the house to reloacte the units and it actually worked pretty well. 3 years later, we only smell it on the worst of humid days. He smoked a lot in the basement and with the open rafter ceiling that smoke had to infest the fiberglass insulation. Other than removal, there's not much you can do about that.