View Single Post
Old 03-24-2011, 09:13 PM   #32
Fordman4ever
Redneck driving a ricer!!

First Name: Earl
Trading: (26)
HUpmann AirForce (Active)
Fordman4ever is a jewel in the roughFordman4ever is a jewel in the roughFordman4ever is a jewel in the roughFordman4ever is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: First Pork Butt of the year

Ok, here goes. Keep in mind this is just how I do things, not how it "should" be done.

When selecting a pork butt, I like to find one that has a thick layer of fat on one side and is between 8-11 pounds. The first thing I do is trim off any excess fat and score the top layer of fat in a checker board pattern of about 1/4" squares(this helps the fat to render easier while on the smoker) the next thing i do is prepare a marinade to inject into the pork, it is usually butter and garlic based.( I change the other ingredients regularly just to try new things) once i have all the marinade on the inside of the pork, I cover the whole butt with mustard and my own dry rub. if i dont have any or dont feel like making any, i use a dry rub from ace hardware called KC Butt Rub. once the pork is on the smoker, i use Oak for the heat because it burns long and hot and I use Pecan and Apple wood for the flavor. sometimes I use jack daniels wood barrel chips for flavor as well. I love the smoke flavor so i try to keep the smoke thick and constant which requires almost constant attention to the smoker, but i don't mind it cause i love cooking. about every 30-45 minutes I spray the pork with an apple juice/jack daniels mixture. the sugars create a really nice bark on the pork and keeps all the moisture in the meat. once the pork has been on the smoker for about 8 hours, i move it to a crock pot( did i mention that i have a really big crock pot) if you dont have a big crock pot you can use an aluminum turkey pan or something of the like. I pour 1 can/bottle of dark beer on the pot along with all the drippings from smoking the pork, fresh minced garlic, chopper onion and 1 lipton's vegetable pack. I cook it on high for about 3 hours then turn it way down and cook it for about 8 more hours. If there is a little too much liquid in the pot, i will remove the lid for the last 1.5 hours of the cooking time and let everything reduce. by this point the pork is so tender there is no need to "pull" the pork as it is already falling apart.

I hope that if you try this, it turns out as good for you as it has for me.
Fordman4ever is offline   Reply With Quote