View Single Post
Old 06-28-2011, 08:58 PM   #400
Whiskeytown

Default Re: Beginner Questions (Ask Them Here!)

As i stated in the new user thread I've only recently gotten back into cigars after several years off. I reconditioned my old humidor and put a new battery in a digital hygrometer that I had. It was accurate a few years back and thus I did not do a salt test (doing one now). For the few months it has been set up it has been sitting nicely at 69/68RH with 1+/- from time to time.

I had my first terrible experience with tunneling, something that hasn't happened to any of my cigars in my humidor yet. This was on a fresh Oliva G that had only been in the box for about 10 days.

I have read that weather conditions can have adverse effects on the cigar as well. I was smoking on my covered porch during a thunderstorm so it was cool (relatively speaking for a southern summer evening) but humid. The first inch of the robusto smoked well but at about the 2" mark it began to tunnel terribly. So much so that even after two attempts at a relight i was only able to smoke about another inch or so to the point that it had tunneled so deeply that i could not successfully relight it and had to give up. So was it weather, a cigar that was just too moist, or even a combination of both? As I stated i'm doing a salt test on my digital hygro as we speak so in 24 hours i'll come back and state what the actual RH has been.