Old 06-25-2009, 07:47 PM   #75
Mark C
Feeling at Home

Trading: (4)
Mark C is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Zaya Rum

Quote:
Originally Posted by glassjapan View Post
That said, gimme some Mount Gay Extra Old, El Dorado 21yr, Cruzan Single Barrel, or even Oronoco to either of the Z's.
I'm with you, Zacapa/Zaya are great, but they're too thick and sweet for me. I really enjoy the others you've mentioned (can't find Oronoco), but Ron del Barrilito is my absolute favorite, and not sold in my state...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CueTheMusic View Post
I've compared Cruzan Single Barrel one on one with the Guatemalan Zaya, and while I do like the Cruzan, it doesn't compare in my opinion.
That's an apples to oranges comparison. The Cruzan SB is more comparable to other Spanish Islands (Puerto Rico, Dominican Republic, etc), while the Guatemalan rums are in a group by themselves, maybe closer to the English style rums (El Dorado) in body, but with a little more sweetness.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BengalMan View Post
I have some Zacapa, it is very good. I believe it and the Guatemalan Zaya were produced in the same location. Never was a fan of the Mount Gay Extra Old or Cruzan Single, I'll have to check out the other two though. None of which I've had thus car compares to Guatemalan Zaya. The Zacapa 23 comes somewhat close though
You're right, Zacapa and Zaya (and Ron Botran, and Montecristo Rum) were originally produced by the same distillery in Guatemala. Zaya was an independent bottling, so they got cut when demand increased for the company's own rum (Zacapa and Botran).

If you like the sweetness of Zacapa/Zaya, Pyrat is the only other that really comes close. If you like the thicker, heavier body, you'll probably enjoy the El Dorado. The smoky flavors of that one make it particularly cigar friendly.
Mark C is offline   Reply With Quote