Thread: New to Pipes
View Single Post
Old 03-21-2015, 07:35 AM   #5
nutcracker
Shameless epicurian

First Name: Neil
Trading: (26)
Partagas
nutcracker is just really nicenutcracker is just really nicenutcracker is just really nicenutcracker is just really nicenutcracker is just really nice
Default Re: New to Pipes

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweater914 View Post
I've tried to sort through some of the sticky links to decide what route I should take, but will defer to vast knowledge base here.

If you had to start over, which style/brand pipe would be your first purchase?

Likewise, which tobaccos and blends would your start off with?

What tools are needed to maintain and smoke your pipe?

Can pipe tobacco and cigars live in the same coolidor/humidor without adversely effecting each other's flavors?

Lastly, which websites provide a general pipe tobacco information, for beginners through mature users, and general industry news/trends?

Thanks for the help folks.
Welcome neighbour ! I suggest you cross the line to buy your tobacco - it's 4x the price up here in MB. Good advice above. I suggest buying a spread of 2oz tins of decent tobacco. Spread across aromatics, traditional Balkans and Vapers.

For me the fun is trying different pipes with different tobaccos. It's really not that expensive if you don't smoke excessively ( which will kill you anyway). Personally I would buy a sandblast as my first brier - you won't notice the scorched rim as badly as a highly polished smooth brier. In the beginning you will scorch the rim!

If you get your mail on the Canadian side I can guide you to an online retailer who is extremely helpful in curtailing your costs. Pembina parcel service also helps, but you will have to declare the stuff when you cross.

This website is a great resource for advice. Good people hang out here.

Enjoy!

Neil