Thread: The Wine Thread
View Single Post
Old 02-03-2011, 09:59 AM   #376
landhoney
Mr. Charisma

First Name: Seth
Trading: (32)
landhoney has a spectacular aura aboutlandhoney has a spectacular aura aboutlandhoney has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: The Wine Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanGAR View Post
To get Brett character in beer, you need to leave the beer to ferment many months to years, even if you innoculate. A Lambic we made (added 2 Brett clones) that had zero Brett character after 6 months had the defined character after 12. If you're making beer on a regular homebrew schedule (make-drink within a couple of months), the chance of getting Brett character accidentally is close to zero.
You can use Brett as a primary fermenter, instead of a 'normal' Sach strain and it will be done in a few weeks (or normal ale time frame, non-high gravity beer of course) if pitched at the right rate (higher than normal ale strains).
It does not give the same characteristics, i.e. the super low atennuation, as when used in conjunction with normal yeast strains in beers like Lambics, Flanders, etc but you can get very interesting Brett characteristics in all Brett fermented beers that are done in a short timeframe. Commercial examples like Mo Betta Bretta, Sanctification are made this way.

edit> Also, sorry oenophiles (myself included), I know this is the wine thread not the beer thread.

Also, I know there is no substitute for the wild/sour ales done the slow way. I have two oak barrels full of beer that has been aging for more than a year at this point because I love that style. They are my favorite beers by far.

Last edited by landhoney; 02-03-2011 at 10:07 AM.
landhoney is offline   Reply With Quote