View Single Post
Old 12-22-2008, 08:23 AM   #187
kaisersozei
The Homebrew Hammer

First Name: Gerard
Trading: (40)
Punch Army (Served With Honor)
kaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to all
Default Re: What beers are you enjoying?

Dogfish Head Chicory Stout

From the website:

A dark beer made with a touch of roasted chicory, organic Mexican coffee, St. John’s Wort and licorice root. Brewed with whole-leaf Cascade and Fuggles hops, the grains include pale, roasted & oatmeal. 5.2% ABV, 22 IBU

The two best things about this stout are its appearance and aroma. It was black as night with nice ruby highlights. Smelled like a cup of iced coffee with some cocoa & spices thrown in for good measure. The coffee taste definitely came through but it was more like the bottom of a burnt pot—very bitter, which is surprising since it was only 22 IBU so it must be related to the roasted malts (or the over roasted malts.) The spiciness was there, almost peppery so you Pepin fans might enjoy this! Not as full bodied as I expected, though, kind of watery for the style. Most stouts seem to improve as they warm, but this one was much better cold. Drinkable, but I prefer other stouts to this. Worth a one time purchase, but not a regular buy.

Final note: At $9 a 6 pack it was an interesting beer that I would recommend if you’re feeling adventurous.