View Single Post
Old 01-10-2010, 04:08 PM   #1
dogface_313

Default I have a question.

So, I went against the advice I had seen written many times. A couple of months ago i went and purchased a 50 count humidor with a glass top. I should have gone bigger, and I shouldn't have gotten a glass top. I know I know.

The humidor quickly filled up, and now that the dry winter that has set in down here in GA the Humi will now hold steady RH. I decided to take all my cigars out, put them in my cooler(like I said before, humi too small). Cooler works great and is plenty of storage.

However I really like to show my cigars off, and the humi looks great on top of our bar. I am trying to salvage what i can with the humi. So, I got some clear silicone caulking and sealed the top(on the outside) where wood meets glass. I also sealed the hole where the Hygrometer goes. I am re-seasoning the humi completely, however before I go through that process I pose my question.

Did I screw myself by using the silicone? Is it going to impart a taste on my cigars? It is completely on the outside, however if humidity is getting out I figure the scent/fumes of the silicone can permeate as well.