View Single Post
Old 09-27-2009, 05:30 PM   #39
Resipsa

Default Re: Popcorn Popper Coffee Roasting

Quote:
Originally Posted by germantown rob View Post
Roasted chicken is far better then grilled chicken and smoked chicken kicks both their butts .

I will not argue the air vs drum but I will argue profile vs no profile. Drum or air when the ability to break a roast up into 3 segments of profile, drying, pre first crack, and first crack on, control over the outcome of flavor can be changed. I think a modded hot air roaster is in the same game as any roaster you can buy.

I feel like popcorn roasters are a bit like the Silvia, a huge fan base with lots of internet info but far from the ultimate answer. I do think for anyone that wants to get into roasting or to try it on a low budget there are better ways to learn without all the noise and lack of control and even the high fan speed with fast roast times keep a newb from getting the basics down and many give up before they give it a real chance and sell on ebay. I want newbs to have a fighting chance at this hobby not get discouraged by limitations of equipment, I am sure we can agree that this is a wonderful skill to possess and I don't think I will slow down the sale of popcorn poppers by having this opinion.
I think we basically agree Rob. I just think those who are new need to learn basics prior to worrying about profiles. Hell, I've been doing this for several years, and I get intimidated and confused at times, especially when things don't bring the results I planned for.