Thread: Plasma or LCD?
View Single Post
Old 12-03-2008, 03:58 PM   #93
Resipsa

Default Re: Plasma or LCD?

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbourjay View Post
i almost bought the 2808, i played then at the local shop over and over again and i couldn't hear the difference. i could hear the difference when dynamic volume was engaged for normal tv watching. i ended up with the 1909.

the problem with receivers is that they are like cigars. one person can hear a difference while the other can't.
While I agree that, to date, people like Dynamic Volume, as a matter of the hardware and software features the 1909 isn't in the same class as the 988/2808. No way I was going to spend the same amount of money on a machine that is way outclassed just for one feature, when there were a TON of features the 2808 has that the 1909 doesn't, and from a technogical/hardware standpoint the 2808 is far superior.

The real comparison is the 2808/988 to the 2809, which is simply the 2808 with Dynamic Volume added to it. My GF scored the 988 for $500 for me as a xmas present. Best price for the 2809 right now, if you can still get the Black Friday price, is $750. Not worth it to me for her to spend half again as much for one single feature that's unproven. To get the 988 at $500 when a year ago it was selling for $1,200 is an absolute steal. A year or two from now I'll be able to sell it for what she paid for it and upgrade again if I want, while a year from now I'll be able to grab a 1909 for around $250.

For me it wasn't really a difficult decision, but everyone has their own wants and needs.