Old 02-16-2012, 11:28 AM   #1
T.G
Grrrrrr

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (37)
Navy (Served With Honor)
T.G has disabled reputation
Default Herf Brownies

I've been meaning to post this for some time now because I get asked all the time about the brownies I often bring to herfs. I kind of laugh, tell the recipe and explain that I'm not really doing anything special, they are out of a box, just modified a bit and I really doubt that I'm the first person to do this.

Besides a "family sized" box of good brownie mix like Duncan Hines or Betty Crocker, the dark chocolate tends to work best, you will need:

• a handful of fresh chopped walnuts
  • a handful of chocolate chips (a chopped up hershey bar works even better)
  • a handful of dried fruit - apricots, pineapple or cranberries seem to work well.
    OR
    a bag of all fruit trail mix, sometimes called "tropical trail mix" - pick the bag with the least amount of raisins (because they are boring).
  • about 1/8 to 1/4 tsp of real vanilla extract
  • strong espresso OR a small can of evaporated whole milk

Directions:

1. Pre-heat oven per directions on box.
  2. Dump the brownie mix into a big bowl
  3. Add number of eggs as directed on package
  4. substitute the volume of water as called for on the package with either espresso or the evaporated milk - your choice, depends on what type of brownie you want, one with a hint of coffee or more of a smooth mellow chocolate.
  5. If you used espresso in step 3, use 2/3 the listed amount of oil. If you used evaporated milk, use 1/2 the listed amount. If you use grapeseed or safflower oil, keep it on the scant side or you'll end up with greaseballs - but if you're using those oils, you probably know that already.
  6. Add the vanilla extract along with the nuts, extra chocolate and fruit.
  7. Mix and bake according to the box directions. I recommend using a 13x9 pan, the smaller pans cause the brownies to be too thick and they don't cook right because of all the extra ingredients.
  8. Lick the bowl and mixing spoon.
Note regarding the pan, because of the dried fruit and reduced oil, these can stick rather easily, I found that even in my Wilton non-stick pans, an oil coat isn't enough, I have to use a heavy coat of the floured baking spray. Baking parchment would probably work too.
T.G is offline   Reply With Quote