View Single Post
Old 12-12-2011, 11:11 AM   #157
Savor the Stick
~Loves the Lord~

First Name: Kevin, or just K
Trading: (67)
Partagas Navy (Served With Honor)
Savor the Stick has disabled reputation
Default Re: What are you roasting today?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blak Smyth View Post
Nice, after hearing that I went on their site and bought the sampler.
Shipped out the same day, can't wait.

I did some research on my roaster and it sounds like it is an okay unit. It is decent for indoors, the catalytic convertor is said to work well. The downside is it doesn't cool well. The review I read recommends taking the beans out and using a fan on them in a colander. They recommend a milder bean because there is a long time in between cracks, maybe too long. Well I will give it all a go and see what happens.
Hey Shane How I cool my beans is I use 2 hand held metal strainers and more the beans back and forth over a fan.....

BUT FIRST because the beans are still cooking even after they are out of the roaster- I sprits some distilled water on them to aid cooling, it brings the temp down quicker and evaporates (steam) very fast.

When the steam is gone and the beans are still HOT to the touch(but not burning the skin hot) I move to over the fan until cool to the touch.

I then spread them out for an hour in a large SS roasting pan, bag and leave unzipped for 18-24 hrs.

That's what I do---Just remember that after roasting you want to cool the beans down as quickly as possible.