View Single Post
Old 04-25-2010, 02:27 PM   #1
Brad

Default Ever Torch lighter unboxing and first impressions **Lots of pics**

I ran into a problem I think many of my fellow cigar smokes face, not having a "dressy" lighter to take out on occasions that call for it. For around the house, out in the yard or whatever I used either a Ronson Jetlite or a Blazer, but when you are out at dinner at a nicer place, or on a date, etc, neither of those options look all that great.

So, I picked up an Ever Torch lighter today. Got it for $45 with my discount, and I got model M0131-D. It's silver, with blue and black on the outside. Now, onto the unboxing!

When you crack it open you get this. The basic instructions most lighters come with, and a quick guide to use both burners. The lighter itsef is wrapped in a little baggie.

And then we have the lighter.

The bottom of the lighter has 2 pretty sweet features. The fill hole is covered with a metal cap that actually screws into the lighter. It's kinda Dupont-esque. There is a tab that flips up so you can unscrew it, and when you fold it back down it's flush with the bottom of the lighter. The pic is with the tab flipped up. The flame adjust works the same way, flip up the tab, adjust it, then push it back flush again.

The lighter is a dual burner unit, soft flame, and a single burner torch. The soft flame is operated by the wheel, and the torch by the small button to the upper right of the wheel.

Here is a pic of the soft flame. It's pretty good sized, and I had no trouble lighting a 60 ring gauge stick with it at all, did the job very well.

Overall, it's seems like a descent lighter, but I've only had it for a day so far. The construction is soild and it doesn't feel cheap, or like it will break from using it like some lighters do these days. It has a nice "ping" sound to it when you flip open the cap, not as nice as Dupont, but hey, this was $45 and not $450. I'm not sure if I'd use this as an everyday lighter, I'm worried the paint on the outside could wear off or chip fairly easily.

All and all, not bad. It's a good solution for those that want, or need, a more elegant lighter but don't want to drop bookoo bucks on a Dupont or something similar.

Edit: Almost forgot, the butane is activated when you open the cap, so this isn't a lighter you want to flick open and closed constantly. If you do, you'll run out of fuel really quickly.