View Single Post
Old 12-10-2011, 11:25 AM   #154
Mr B
Livin' in a Van....

Trading: (79)
PL
Mr B is just really niceMr B is just really niceMr B is just really niceMr B is just really nice
Default Re: What are you roasting today?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonumberone View Post
I roasted my second batch last night.
I roasted a 1/2 pound, since I all but used the first 1/4 I roasted

1/2,p3,D, start

I now fully understand the sounds of first crack and second.
Very distinct difference.
I also now understand what smoke is
What I thought was a lot of smoke from my first roast was nothing compared to last night, even with the range hood on!!
The hood did keep the smoke detectors from going off, so that's a plus.

Question:
The manual says to never roast 10 seconds past second crack.
Is this 10 seconds after the first sounds or 10 seconds after the sounds stop?

Thanks again!
Remember to give the beans some time to rest. I leave them in trays for a few hours after cooling. Then I move them to bags but I do not zip the bag all the way closed. I leave them sit overnight, in the bag (slightly open) to allow gases to escape. The next day I extract the air, seal the bag and let them sit for at least 24 hours before using.
The darker the roast, the longer they should rest. Dark roasts like Vienna and French can take a good 3 days to settle into their own.

They mean 10 seconds after 2nd crack starts. Once 1st crack (loud popping) slows down, I get real close to the roaster and listen very carefully for 2nd crack to begin. Like mentioned before, 2nd crack is much quieter and sounds like Rice Krispies in milk. You will need to experiment how long into 2nd crack you prefer to roast. Litterally count. I know with my Air poppers, I like to go 15-20 seconds into 2nd crack. With my equipment, this gives me a good Full City + / Vienna, which I prefer.
Different beans will take different times. Different types of beans are different sizes and need different times too. This is a good reason to blend different beans after roasting instead of roasting them together.

You asked above if the handful of inconsistant beans were normal. Yes. Look at them before you raost. They are already different shades, some lighter than others. I imagine its because not all beans can be picked at the eaxct same ripness, leading to different shades.
If you can slow the roast down a bit, it might even out the shades a bit.

Take a look at this page https://www.sweetmarias.com/library/...e-degree-roast

This was very helpful to me when I first started out.

And there came a voice to him: “Rise, Peter; kill and eat.” Acts 10:13
Mr B is offline   Reply With Quote