View Single Post
Old 03-21-2011, 09:55 AM   #25
replicant_argent
Gravy Boat Winnah.

First Name: Pete
Location: my attorney has advised against giving this information to insane people
Trading: (22)
LGC
replicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to all
Default Re: My First French Press

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLS View Post
Two things to remember, though, coffee should NEVER be made with boiling water. If you boil water,
let it sit for 5 or so minutes before using it to make coffee. And secondly, if you use hot water from the tap,
make sure you do not have a conventional water heater. If you have that kind of instant heat deal,
that's OK, but drinking hot water from a conventional tank water heater is not good for you.
Could you elaborate on these? Depending on the ambient temp and the container the water is in, 5 minutes could put it below optimal brew temp.

As far as the other.... No real reason that water would be harmful, in my experience. If you were on a well, with untreated water, and you had some high temp biological contamination, that might be an issue, but in general not an issue for 99,999 people out of a 100,000. What are you referring to? Soft water? Not really an issue, as the sodium levels in softened water are so low that for it to impact your health you would need to drink bathtubs of it to affect you. Daily. The sodium, in a softened water system are used in the ionic exchange process in the softener, and the resin bed is flushed of virtually all free NaCl in the final bed rinse.
Curiosity killed the cat, I suppose.