View Single Post
Old 11-19-2008, 08:40 AM   #18
gvarsity
still crazy

Trading: (15)
gvarsity will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Opinions on French Press?

For what I consider a traditional cup of coffee French press is the way to go. It's simple, cheap, there are no moving parts and most importantly it is the best quality cup of coffee you can make. Although Moo calls mokapot coffee regular coffee not espresso I consider it an in between state. Not a coffee not an espresso just a mokapot coffee because it is so different in texture and flavor than and other non-espresso method of coffee. More in an other category that would include things like Cuban or Turkish coffee which are not espresso but are made with coffee beans and water but bear very little resemblance to coffee that say for instance my grandfather would recognize.

One of the biggest difference between French press and drip for me is "mouth feel". In fact tasting a cup of drip side by side with a french press is a really good way to illustrate that concept. Drip is thin like water and the french press is full like wine. I'm sure Mr.Moo can speak to why the water/grounds exposure/time relationship creates a more nuanced and rich flavor in a French press. Although he may just say "autodrip brewers don't work very well".

http://www.planetarydesign.us/allproducts.html

Makes a great double-walled, vacuum-insulated french press. I have two in the 20oz and the 32oz. Look great and work ridiculous well. I have made coffee in the morning for my wife and I and when I have gotten home from work the last cup in the pot was still warm not hot but warm. Not that I drank it but I was damn impressed.
gvarsity is offline   Reply With Quote