Old 03-08-2012, 11:23 AM   #18
smitty81
Have My Own Room

Trading: (10)
smitty81 has disabled reputation
Default Re: Gardeners in the Asylum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jefft72 View Post
We have some tomatoes, peppers (jalapeno, habanero, bells), beans, and cilantro started from seeds and ready to move to a bigger home. We just put about 30 strawberry plants into dirt this evening.
We have had success in small backyard gardens in the past mostly growing tomatoes, peppers and squashes. This year we want to try our hand at some hydroponic growing. Specifically some vertical solutions to pack more into the given space. I am only needing to find a solution to the problem of getting power to a submersible pump that will continuously pump nutrient rich water into the vertical growing system 24/7. There is one outdoor outlet in the backyard, but it would seem silly to run an extension cord across the yard, not to mention unsafe. I thought about burying conduit to run the extension cord through, which would seem like a decent compromise. The best solution of course would be to take a run from the box and have a gfci on the end sticking out of the ground and protected however necessary.
We had strawberry plants for 3 years. It all started with 4 small plants. They grew in the snow and frost, Couldn't kill the damn things off. If you let them, they will grow everywhere and spread like a weed. It wouldnt have been so bad but we could never get any decent sized berries off them and they never produced much.

I hope you have better luck than we did.

I think I'm gonna grow some more tomatoes this year, always had good luck with them.
smitty81 is offline   Reply With Quote