View Single Post
Old 03-17-2014, 02:50 PM   #971
RevSmoke
Ain't Never Gonna Leave

First Name: Todd
Trading: (51)
HUpmann
RevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant future
Default Re: New Pipe Smoker With A Question? Ask an Old Fart

Quote:
Originally Posted by kydsid View Post
Well that's great advice but it begets another question. What do you mean by "how much I rub them out"?
There is some tobacco that comes in what is referred to as a ribbon cut and is the form most pipe tobacco is sold in. Some pipe tobacco is made in a pressed form called a plug. Some is slices from a large pressed plug and is called a flakes. Still more tobacco comes as a rope where the tobacco leaves are spun together to make it, and it comes in various diameter ropes. Cut slices from rope may be called either coins or disks.

While you can buy some tobacco even in plug or rope form, what you will more often find is either flakes, disks, or coins. To smoke these forms, there are many method to get them into the pipe - I referred to that as "how much I rub them out." Some will take a flake/disk and fold it and stuff it into their pipe. Some will rub it out completely to basically a ribbon form. And of course, there are varying degrees in between.

Peace of the Lord be with you.