Thread: Scotch Q&A
View Single Post
Old 11-25-2008, 09:14 PM   #31
Scottw
Going Commando

First Name: Scott
Trading: (6)
Bolivar
Scottw has a spectacular aura aboutScottw has a spectacular aura aboutScottw has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Single Malt Scotch Whisky

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayaker View Post
Thought I would start by giving you my definition/explanation about SMSW. I do it backwards:

Whisky = fermented grain (corn, rye, barley…) which is then distilled, usually aged in oak barrels (eg. rye, malt, bourbon).

Scotch = Whisky from Scotland only, has to be aged 3 years min., and must be distilled, aged, bottled in Scotland.

Malt = barley that has been soaked and allowed to germinate to maximize sugars, then dried, crushed and made into beer, which is then distilled.

Single = whisky that comes from one distillery only.

So SMSW is a Scotch whisky made from malted barley and from a single distillery.

Is that as clear as mud?
As I tend to enjoy a single barrel bourbon from time to time. I'd just like to throw my 2 cents in here regarding it.

In order for a Whisky to be called "Bourbon", The primary (at least 51%) ingredient must be corn. The distilled spirit must be aged in NEW charred oak barrels and cannot be distilled at greater than 160 proof. It must be aged at least 2 years to be called a Straight Bourbon Whisky and the spirit must fo int the barrel at no more than 125 proof.