View Single Post
Old 12-23-2008, 09:38 AM   #28
Mister Moo
I barely grok the obvious

First Name: Dan
Trading: (3)
HUpmann Army (Served With Honor)
Mister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: New Pipe Smoker With A Question? Ask an Old Fa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benwoo View Post
Hello gents. I just picked up a newbie Briar on a vacation trip to Monterey last week. I fumbled through a few bowls over the weekend and found that I like the pipe but I need to buy stock in matches. I've read one of the major FAQ's and it mentioned tamping the bowl while smoking. So I have a couple questions about the mid smoking tamp.

1. Is this only done if/when the bowl goes out? Or should it be done carefully even if the bowl is still burning?

2. How does one know when to perform this mid smoke tamping? I did notice an ash lattice work develop in my bowl so I'm assuming sometime around then =)

3. What's the purpose? It would seem the light ash would plug up the works if tamped but maybe it would help to keep the bowl lit more often.

I was even contemplating taking my cigar cutter and whacking one of my cigars into "plugs" to drop into the pipe. Any thoughts? I know it sounds kind of silly when you have a perfectly fine cigar but I think I like smoking from a pipe better.

Thanks for the help!
Chris
The nature of the tamp was best described (for me) by BOTL EvanS. He said use a tamper to "collapse" the ash column. In fact, if you only ever need to tamp/collapse the ash column in your pipe (as opposed to "compressing" the ash column) then you have probably filled your pipe near to perfectly.

Planning for expansion prevents a plugged up pipe minutes after the first light. A proper fill and sensitive tamping accounts, as much as possible, for tobacco expansion during the smoke. As the tobak burns it may expand outward and upward and make it difficult for the burning pieces of tobak to stay in contact with one another. The draw may become completely unrestricted and the light may extinguish. If you feel this process getting a foothold, a gentle tamp atop the ash column may reconnect the embers and commence a continued good burn. When I feel a pipe drawing very loosely and notice that smoke isn't very rich I'll press gently with a tamper and puff - usually the pipe fires right back up. Pressing too lightly is no problem - just press again a tad harder; but pressing too hard may overly compact the remaining tobacco which, when reheated, will expand and plug he bowl. Just go easy with the tamping. A gentle tamp on a properly filled bowl is a light touch.

Tampers come in different diameters. Take care not to use one that is too large for your pipe or you'll scrape off the cake you've been working on. The tamper on the Czech multi-tool covers the bases for most pipes and most people. A large nail is good - and cheap. Many people are satisfied finger-tampers.

I like cigars and I like pipes but am not fond of cigar leaf (or cigar chunks) in a pipe, though. Many are - it might be perfect for you. Somebody here smokes Lipton Tea in their pipe. Whatever. We are open minded and this is a no-snob zone. So, if you want to take cigar chunks and screw up a perfectly good pipe and make me want to barf just thinking about it, WTH? Have at it. Merry Christmas, you sick, twisted degenerate.

Last edited by Mister Moo; 12-23-2008 at 09:45 AM.
Mister Moo is offline   Reply With Quote