View Single Post
Old 07-27-2009, 09:06 AM   #28
jkim05
Feeling at Home

First Name: Jeremy
Trading: (17)
PL
jkim05 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Home Bar Liquor List - What To Buy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGD. View Post
I wouldn't know an ultra peaty scotch if it slapped me in the face -
Well...I think you would. It tastes like medicine that's been set on fire (if you're not used to it).

Anyways, if you want specific recommendations here's my list, it's got some stuff on it that's not so common in bars, but the best values for the money. This is just one man's recs so YMMV.

Rail-stuff you mix with (it's not like you have people over every night so no need to really get anything too cheap here, but there's also no need to get anything really good that won't be appreciated in a mixed bev.)
Vodka- This is one I'm not sure of because vodka tends to be mixed with ingredients that grossly out flavor the vodka so it's really not as important, imo, what vodka you use unless your making martinis or something. Don't get anything in a plastic bottle, but unless you plan on entertaining serious vodka drinkers, my recommendation is Stoli. Middle of the road, easily obtainable, no objectionable flavours and good enough for a martini.
Gin- Tanqueray. Some people may disagree, but I find this one to not overly herbaceous so it's rather approachable. Drinkable in a Gin and Tonic and in Gin Martinis. Hendrick's is also a great one, but that's kind of a second level purchase, it's a less mainstream and also less approachable.
Rum- You said you've got this covered and you probably know more about it than me. As for recipes, you'll need a decent lower end clear rum and a decent lower end dark rum, what you choose is up to you, but that will give you flexibility. No reason to waste HC Barrel Proof in a mixed drink where you can't really taste the rum.
Tequila-This one I also don't have much experience with. I'm sure someone else here can expound on some good sleeper value hits, but in my experience I can say most tequila based drinks are palatable with Sauza or Cuervo. Once again, with sipping tequila you're getting into the next level of purchases.
Whiskey-Jack Daniels is standard in bars as is Jim Beam. However, seeing that Evan Williams Single Barrel is 17.99 at the liquor store right now near my house, I'd just get that or something comparable. Get a bourbon type whiskey here as that's what most recipes will call for and it will fit the bill for most general whiskey based drinks.
Scotch- This I know a little bit about, at least I think so. Get a blended scotch for mixed drinks, single malt for sipping. Best values out there: White Horse and Old Pulteney. I was fooled once in a blind Scotch tasting by White Horse and I think it's better than almost any other blended scotch, with only a few super high end exceptions, and it's like 10 bucks a bottle. Old Pulteney is a great bottle for the price and delivers a surprisingly nice Scotch profile. Other great scotches to buy at first include Balvenie (it's honey sweetness pleases most scotch drinkers) and Talisker (an Islay that's not as peaty as some).

If I think of any others as I go through the day, I'll post those up too.
jkim05 is offline   Reply With Quote