Thread: Scotch Q&A
View Single Post
Old 01-13-2009, 10:52 AM   #83
JohnnyFlake
Just an old Wiseguy!

First Name: John
Trading: (18)
HUpmann Army
JohnnyFlake has a spectacular aura aboutJohnnyFlake has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Scotch Q&A

Quote:
Originally Posted by yourchoice View Post

I find that I most enjoy the peat associated with Islays. What would be your recommendations (more than one is fine) for a reasonably priced (say less than $50 or $60) SMSW with these characteristics?

If I may, another recommendationesqe (not a word, I know ) question. I believe in the mantra that variety is the spice of life, and I don't want to focus on one profile/region. I'd like to start (over the course of the next few months) a Scotch collection. What Scotches from the different regions would you recommend that best touch on the attributes associated with each region? This would be more of my learning curve exercise so I wouldn't want things to get too pricy.

Again, thanks for this thread, it is a great resource.
Here are a few suggestions to consider, in your quest for variety! These should all be well within your budget!

Ardberg 10yo - Islay / Michael Jackson’s review – Tar-Like, Medicinal, Seaweedy-Salty, with a light Maltiness and a Lemon Skin Fruitiness!

Arberlour 10yo – Speyside / Michael Jackson’s review – Nutty Maltiness, Unusually Textured, Nougat-Like with a hint of Cherries. It’s beautifully balanced!

Highland Park 12yo – Island (non-Islay) / Michael Jackson’s review – Exceptionally smooth, Succulent, with a Smoky Dryness, a Heathery-Honey Sweetness and a light Maltiness! Exceptional!

Glenmorangie 12yo – Highlands / Michael Jackson’s review – Up front Butterscotch, with lot’s of Vanilla and Honey!

Springbank 10yo – Campbeltown / Michael Jackson’s review – Soft, Marshmallowy, Sweet Red Apples, Pears and Hedgerow Fruits!

I am not very familiar with any, from the Lowland Region, so I cannot make a recommendation at this time.