View Single Post
Old 01-01-2010, 11:20 AM   #758
Cigargal
Waiting for SoCal XI

Trading: (25)
Partagas
Cigargal will become famous soon enoughCigargal will become famous soon enough
Default Re: What are you reading?

2009 is over and I finished off the year with 72 books. Still shy of my goal of 100. The last book completed was The Golden City by John Twelve Hawkes completing his series of the Travelers. Good series but the last one was disappointing. I was looking through the list and thought I would post the stand outs for this year.

The best books for 2009

Drood, by Dan Simmons
I was fascinated by this book and it sparked an interest(or renewed interest) in Dickens and Victorian detective stories. It was one of four books that received the top 5 star rating on my list.

The other three books are by the same author
The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo
The Girl Who Played with Fire
The Girl Who Kicked the Hornets Nest by Stieg Larsson
What a shame this author passed away after writing this series. The best mystery series I have ever read. If you haven't read them, please do. The titles are funky but the content is excellent.

Close runner up with four and a half stars
Darkness Take My Hand by Dennis Lehane
I love it when I find a new author. When I started with Lehane I couldn't stop and read all his books but one. I haven't read Shutter Island because when i do I won't have anymore to read...wah!

There were a few stinkers-books that got only two stars, but one book stands out with only one star...The Shroud of the Thwacker by Chris Elliott. Worse book I finished this year.

On to 2010. The fist book is Assassination Vacation by Sarah Vowell-almost done with this one-very entertaining writer. The book is about Lincoln, Garfield and McKinley.
Cigargal is offline   Reply With Quote