View Single Post
Old 01-17-2010, 12:36 PM   #39
druturn

Default Re: Ronson JetLite Torch Lighter

One thing I would say about purging is to make sure not to just let go of the valve after you hear the big release of gas. After that big release get your ear right up to the lighter and wait till you hear the soft hissing stop. That soft hissing is the key in purging a lighter because it is not the butane but the excess oxygen in the tank that prevents the fuel from mixing and lighting properly. I personally don't "pump" the canister into it as I feel that it can insert oxygen and not fill it completely. Instead I just press the canister firmly into the lighter until I hear it hissing from overfilling(typically just a few seconds into the filling, depends on size of tank) then release it and wait for a few minutes before attempting to light it again as the gas has to warm up to room temp before being effective. Also turning the lighter to "low" while purging/filling may aid you, then after it is warmed up and ready to go, you can turn it back up to your desired flame height. Hope this helps! And welcome to the forums!