View Single Post
Old 11-21-2016, 02:50 PM   #17
markem
Bunion

First Name: Mark
Trading: (47)
HUpmann
markem has disabled reputation
Default Re: Miss-Used Cigar Term! STOGIE?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave View Post
I disagree. I think language is important. Dynamic, of course, but understanding nuances and perceptions is significant. At least, it can be if one wants to communicate. I'm not sure how an interest in English distinctions and variations makes them Walmart Greeter material...not that there's anything wrong with that

I had a botl friend that was insistent upon saying that he was 'going to enjoy a cigar' vice 'going to smoke a cigar'. He thought the distinction important. I didn't adopt his convention, but I respect it....and do use it at times.
I'm not disagreeing with you. I am, however, pointing out that if, in the common vernacular, the term 'stogie' is not associated with a particular type of wagon from the 1800s (that is considered an apocryphal story, btw) then jumping up and down insisting that everyone is wrong is kinda silly and more than out-moded.

By all means, be specific with language, but language is intended to communicate ideas and information, not be a source of pedantic argument, unless you are an editor or similar or maybe John Cleese . I use terms loosely in order to help insure (compare: ensure) the listener understands the meaning of my statement. I could be very tight on proper usage and insist that everyone else do same, but the goal, the communication of ideas and information, would (possibly) be lost.

btw, with your friend, the first is a proper subset of the second. Where is The Professor (a real professor of rhetoric) when you need him...