View Single Post
Old 10-05-2010, 09:18 AM   #1268
Smokin Gator
Just plain insane!

Trading: (106)
Partagas
Smokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: What's in your smoker?

I didn't really learn how to cook brisket until I was forced to when I started competing. After eating lots of shoe leather I have brisket down to were I don't worry about it any more than I do a pork butt. I'm not saying I hit them spot on every time... but when I do I probably enjoy it more than anything I cook. For just plain eating though I love doing chuck rolls even more!!

Gotta agree with Brad on the fat part though. I don't like brisket with the fat cap still on. I started out following conventional wisdom and leaving about 1/4 inch of fat cap on. Now I trim nearly all of the fat cap off and cut all of the yellow fat out between the flat and point. I get a lot better bark/smoke ring that way. As long as I choose briskets with plenty of marbling (sometimes a chore if I can't find CAB briskets) I feel like they are just as moist as anyones. Not saying it is right... it's just how I like them.