Old 04-21-2010, 04:42 AM   #27
smokehouse
Hiding from Curly Cut

Trading: (0)
smokehouse has disabled reputation
Default Re: McDonalds anyone?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brutus2600 View Post
Bodum makes a great french press, and you can get a size to fit you too, if you're just wanting to make a single cup or enough for two people and multiple cups.

Make sure you get a burr grinder, don't get one of those blade grinders, they don't grind the coffee evenly and you end up with some coarse ground coffee and fine ground coffee. Doesn't work well with the french press (or drip for that matter). The burr grinder gets a great even grind. You can pick a decent one up from Target for around $25.

As far as coffee beans go here are the do's and dont's. Do buy whole bean. Do try different brands, you'll find one you like. Don't buy the grocery store bulk coffee in those bins...you don't know how long they've been sitting there. Biggest don't of all? Don't buy flavored coffee. Those are the coffee beans that were near the back of the truck that have all the wonderful exhaust flavoring imparted into the bean. The "flavoring" they put into those beans covers that up. If you want flavor in your coffee, buy some syrups and add those into your brewed cup.

Hope this helps you attain that wonderful and delicious cup of home brewed coffee. Yeah it seems like alot of work, but once you get the process down you won't spend any more time making it in the morning than you would waiting in line at the drive thru at whatever coffee place you'd go to. Plus, on the weekends a delicious fresh brewed cup of coffee goes great with a cigar

Great advice above.

I just bought a burr grinder after my whirlybird took a dump. Wow what a difference. Burr grinder is the way to go. I always thought Moo was a burr grinder salesmen and was pulling my leg.

I used to drink Foldgers, Maxwell House, etc, black in an auto drip and thats all I would drink, and liked it. Once I started getting into buying whole beans and then the French Press I never went back to Drip or the other coffees mentioned above, they just don't taste right anymore. I have to add sugar and sometimes cream to make them tolerable to drink. Then I got into home roasting. Thats another story there.

Sometimes I wish I would have stuck with the cheap grocery store mass produced ground stuff and never got into the good stuff, but now I'm addicted to the good now and if I had to go back to the cheap crap I would probably just stop drinking coffee.