Lorglath
Still Watching My Back

Trading: (0)
Bolivar
Lorglath is on a distinguished road
Default Re: How to fix mold issue in large humidor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrythevic View Post
Over humidifying can start a mold bloom. Mold spoors are in the air and all it takes is the correct temperature and humidity for the mold to take hold. Once the mold is in your humidor, you have to kill the spoors in order to stop the infestation. Think of a swimming pool that has an algae bloom, same scenario.

The best way to kill off the mold and not have a health issue is to wipe all surfaces of your humidor with isopropyl alcohol, i.e. rubbing alcohol. Chlorine, like you use in a pool works better, but then you have the issue of removing all traces of the chlorine from your humidor. Chlorine gas is not your friend! LOL

Several years ago I had a similar problem. I emptied everything from the humidor. I filled a bottle sprayer with rubbing alcohol and sprayed every nook and cranny with the alcohol. I let it air dry for several hours and repeated twice more. The alcohol killed all of the mold and then evaporated without leaving a trace. If you can, find the 92% isopropyl, it will evaporate quicker and will have lower trace elements.

It solved the problem and with better humidity control, I did not have a repeat issue.

Good Luck!
Great suggestion, I am thinking of trying this with Everclear grain alcohol rather than rubbing alcohol.
Lorglath is offline   Reply With Quote