Old 05-16-2010, 05:55 PM   #1
Lexxxus
I break for Cubans

First Name: Wayne
Trading: (2)
Cohiba
Lexxxus is on a distinguished road
Default Cigar smoking and bone healing

I'm 53 and at a decent level of fitness. I broke my collarbone mountain biking 7 months ago... It was a weird break close to the shoulder joint and did not heal... 2 weeks ago underwent a bone graft where they took some bone from my hip and put it between the break on the collarbone (the gap was wide and it never bonded) They used a titanium plate to hold it all together and 4 months from now they will take it out leaving the healed collarbone (hopefully)

The plate has 5 screws in the shoulder joint, 3 in the long part of the collarbone and one in the piece of bone they harvested from my hip. (the screw that is in the piece of hip bone is 4th from the right in this photo)

I did not smoke any cigars for 3 days before the operation and none since.

Any docs our medical experts here that might know when it might be safe to resume smoking cigars? I do not smoke cigarettes and in the summer months usually about 10 cigars weekly. I've been thru so much with this damn broken collarbone I want to give it every chance to heal.

My surgeon said cigars are not as bad as cigarettes but the nicotine slows bone healing.

Last edited by Lexxxus; 05-16-2010 at 06:09 PM.
Lexxxus is offline   Reply With Quote