View Single Post
Old 02-12-2021, 10:24 AM   #2577
stearns
Dogbert Consultant

First Name: Ben
Trading: (50)
RA
stearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to all
Default Re: The Bourbon Thread!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by longknocker View Post
Thanks, Ben!. I Guess The Only Problem Comes When Your Tastes Differ From The "Pickers'".
Quote:
Originally Posted by icehog3 View Post
This becomes the quest. Finding store(s) where it seems like the "pickers" have similar tastes or palates. I've been lucky enough to find a couple of those and a couple local groups that have been doing barrel picks as well. I'd say I've had about 80% winners with those stores and groups. The one guy who has a connection at Whistlepig just gets some outrageously delicious barrels.
Exactly, taste preference and access. Usually stores have a "pick team" of the same 3-4 managers/employees so figuring out what they like, or what their tasting process is like, is important. Usually you can just ask the liquor manager and they'll talk your ear off about how they pick for 30 minutes

Access is a different animal, it's not really talked about but I definitely believe there's a reason certain stores regularly get better barrels from certain distilleries. Tom definitely has the proof when it comes to Whistle Pig