Old 05-01-2011, 12:00 PM   #1983
cigarusmaximus
Still Watching My Back

Trading: (2)
cigarusmaximus is on a distinguished road
Default Re: What's in your smoker?

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.G View Post
It might be a little green, but hard to say from here. What sticks out to me is that's a lot of smoke wood. Different design pits work differently though, some designs it might be ok. If I were cooking, I would use probably half or a little less than half of that.

When you use chips, think about how many handfuls of chips you use, and now think about how much a handful compresses. Compare the number of compressed handfuls to that log you tossed on to get an idea.

As for char all the way around, I don't worry about that, I put the wood on and maybe bury a chunk or two in the unlit briquettes, and after the flames and heavy smoke have died down (15-20 minutes usually) I put the meat on. That's what works for me with the smoker I use. If it works for anyone else, that's a bonus.
Thanks TG. I'm inclined to agree with you. I don't think the wood is bad. I believe the tree has been down for nearly a year and the banches I used looked to be die back from previous years. I did remove the bulk of the bark, with exception of a thin brown layer that is stuck to the core wood.

I'll split these branches in halves and quarters and try again.

Cheers