Grrrrrr

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (37)
Navy (Served With Honor)
T.G has disabled reputation
Default Re: Advice from the masters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainsaw13 View Post
PM Mike, 357, about his UDS (ugly drum smoker). Or just google for it. If you're handy, you can make your own for a pretty cheap sum.
Having made one UDS and rebuilt a second one, I can say that I think the PBC is a better option than building your own unless you need the larger capacity. Depending on how you set up the UDS, the cost difference might not be that great, and with the PBC you can just take it out of the box and start cooking, rather than f-ing around with cleaning the inside of a used drum which can be a PITA and a lot of work (and I got lucky, my drums only needed an acid wash and a soak with caustic - very potent industrial grade stuff in both cased, but it beat burning and sanding for days).

Don't get me wrong, I think UDSs are great, but I also think the PBC is a simpler, easier and better solution. I needed cookers that could hold 6-8 whole chickens, 4-6 butts, 8 tri-tips, 12+ racks of ribs, etc all of which is way more than the PBC can handle, so I had to go the UDS route.

Gary ("cort") has both a UDS and a PBC - he could probably weigh in on some of the differences also.

Last edited by T.G; 11-23-2014 at 12:38 PM.
T.G is offline   Reply With Quote