Grrrrrr

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (37)
Navy (Served With Honor)
T.G has disabled reputation
Default Re: Cigars going bad - Polyglycol Propolene in humid solution

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger T View Post
I buy cigars on line, and I've found some great deals (JR cigar, CI Cigars etc) and these were really great tasting smokes. But after about 6 mo. (I've got quite a few in my humidor) the great tasting ones become pretty vial tasting and unsmokable. I use a mixture of Propoline Glycol and distled water (1 to 5 parts water) in the humidification bars, to prevent mold, and wonder if that has anything to do with it. I also have left the celophane sleeves on them, and am told that isn't a good idea either. Is there just a time limit on how long you can keep your sticks in limbo even if the humidity is maintained before they develop this vial tasting charictaristic? After a while does the oil just turn bad or dry out etc...I'm at a total loss here.

My humidor is the kind with 8 pull-out drawers and a plastic window type front opening door on hinges that doesn't really have a tight sealing door. I'm told that this is not a good type humidor for maintaining a proper level of humidificaiton, but the digintal humidity meeter says it's alwyas about 60 - 65%.

THEN...I have gone for periods of a week without lighting up, so I wonder if it's just my taste buds have gotten too sensitive without smoking.
Let me guess, by vile, you mean bitter and tar like?

I'm thinking that you might be dealing with over humidification. The timeline is about right and water/pg combo likes to sit around 70% when you mix it 50%/50%. You are mixing 80% water, 20% PG, so it's basically unregulated water which will go to in the 80's or 90's for humidity.

You can take a few cigars and put them in an old wooden cigar box and leave it on the counter for a few days or more, or even just leave them on the counter and let them dry out a bit, see if the flavor comes back. If they are really wet, it could take a week, or longer if you live in a higher humidity area.

I would look into beads from HCMbeads.com, and check the calibration on your hygrometer. Also, your humidor might just leak like a sieve, so it appears to be 65% where the hygro is, but the cigars are soaking up a lot of moisture.

Lastly, cello doesn't really harm the cigars. If anything it affords them protection from being damaged by handling, moving around, mold spores, can serve as a buffer against humidity changes etc.
T.G is offline   Reply With Quote