View Single Post
Old 10-22-2008, 06:45 PM   #8
Mister Moo
I barely grok the obvious

First Name: Dan
Trading: (3)
HUpmann Army (Served With Honor)
Mister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Got some beans from the Dominican. Now what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultramag View Post
I will most definately give it a whirl and see. I read somewhere in the archives about sitting a FP on a raised wire platform (cooling rack IIRC) above a warming burner on a stovetop. Any thoughts or experience with that? It would seem to me that warming the grounds enough to keep the coffee warm would be just begging for trouble, but as I have already proved, I don't know much.
I can't follow that at all. As it is I have two presses - a small and a large. Both are steel and both are insulated. In either case, coffee never sits in them long enough to get cool. When I used a Bodum borosilicate press I'd sometimes wrap it with a terri towel or a tea cozy if I was drinking the contents by myself; it never went tepid. Nor sure about the reason to put a press on a stove - wire rack or not.

I do wire-rack my pyrex vacpots (below) as is the recommended practice for boiling - never a problem.