Thread: New to Pipes
View Single Post
Old 03-21-2015, 12:19 AM   #3
Subvet642
Bilge Rat

First Name: Darren
Trading: (13)
LFdC Navy (Served With Honor)
Subvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to all
Default Re: New to Pipes

I'm fairly new to pipes too, but I would recommend that you buy the prettiest pipe/pipes you can afford. If you don't like the pipe, you'll not smoke it as much. As for what you'll need: a pipe tool and some pipe cleaners, perhaps a cork knocker. If there's one piece of advice that's helped me immeasurably, it is to dry out your tobacco before you smoke it; it's the moisture in the tobacco that causes tongue bite. Dry it so that when squeezed between your thumb and forefinger, it doesn't stick together and don't pack it tightly; many tobaccos will expand in the bowl and will cause the draw to get tight. Also, try to pace your draws with your natural breathing rhythm. I also try to keep the coal small-ish and almost on the verge of going out. Don't sweat re-lights; just do it and don't worry. Personally, I use paper matches because they produce a small flame and it's easier to prevent scorching the rims of my pipes. It seems to me that pipe tobacco needs more humidity than cigars in storage, so I would recommend the old stand-by: Mason jars. They're airtight and thus won't usually need humidification, unless your tobacco gets too dry. As for what type of blends, that's completely subjective and you'll have to experiment. What do you like in cigars? On second thought, try an English blend or a crossover like GLP Barbary Coast; it's pretty user friendly. Welcome aboard!