Thread: 2016 MLB Thread
View Single Post
Old 12-22-2015, 12:57 PM   #17
ChicagoWhiteSox

Default Re: 2016 MLB Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave128 View Post
Cespedes did OK for the Mets. He hit the cover off the ball for about a month, but once the opposing teams figured out he couldn't hit high inside heat, he was done for the season. Really effected his production in the playoffs. I don't see that changing unless he puts some work into his game. I think the Mets will be better off not signing this over-priced player.
Cespedes was a 6.7 WAR player in 2015. In the OF, only Trout and Harper were better in all of MLB. In terms of contracts, you look at a recent OF signing: Heyward. Dude pulled in $184mm. Largest contract in Cubs history. He was a 6.0 WAR player last year. Personally, I think that is a decent signing for them. Single metrics like power numbers make Heyward look not exactly worth it, but his favorable WAR (glove makes up where his bat doesn't) and age close the gap. Cespedes will get a massive contract, but it'll probably be in line with other ~6 WAR OFs. The more I think about, my bet is DET or San Fran will throw serious coin and land him. I just don't see JR nutting up. Sox would have the highest PR in the teams history if they do.