View Single Post
Old 02-26-2009, 08:24 PM   #43
Cyanide

Default Re: Martial Arts - What Do/Did You Study

Wow, I am late to this thread

I did about 4-5 years in Wado Riu, an Okanawan form of Karate. Emphasizing grace over power, using the opponent's power against themselves (these "soft" styles don't typically compliment a "big guy" as myself. Oddly though, I think it has allowed me to be much more graceful in life, important at many junctions I have come to). It also included aspects of Juijitsu and Ikiado if I remember correctly. This was probably about 15 years ago. Almost got my black belt, but then family turmoil drew my focus away and I dropped it...then soon moved.

Years later I tried TKD. I can't remember if it was World or International....one uses "sine wave" motions, the other does not.....the one I was in insisted on "sine wave" motion in all the moves. They knew of my background, but wouldn't allow me any rank exceptions. So, I was asked to go to tournaments as a white belt, they all knew I was almost a black belt in another style (even then years rusty though), and by that time I had recovered many of my moves. I declined because that was just unfair.

I soon moved on because I couldn't stand the ineffective and simply wasteful and rediculous "sine wave".

I guess I am longing for the day when I find a Wado class again in my region. Its unfortunate, in a way, that I came across my first instructor, Les Mansfield. That guy was such a great teacher (really had an inspiring knack for teaching late teen-agers) that I am tainted from now on, not seeing any other instructors as "on par".

But, there you have it.....another rambling from me.

Cheers

Cyanide