View Single Post
Old 03-20-2010, 07:00 PM   #22
TheRiddick
Non-believer

First Name: Greg
Trading: (7)
TheRiddick will become famous soon enoughTheRiddick will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Beer Prices v. Wine Prices

Tell you what. Go to CA Central Valley and open a bar/liquor store without any Bud beer, see how long you'll last (only as long as your bank account keeps you afloat). Someone on top of the thread mentioned "snobbishness factor" of wine drinkers and yet some posts underscore exactly how beer drinkers are more snobbish than wine drinkers. Bud is still the best selling beer in USA last time I checked and whether you or I like it or not, there is obviously an ungodly number of Bud customers out there (how many people do you know who smoke Cremosas?)

I am not saying Bud is great, but it is easily DRINKABLE (although we seem to disagree on this point). Something I won't say about a good number of wines and a good number of cigars (my Cremosa experiment lasted less than an inch, I honestly tried, and I was ready to vomit by then).

If anything, you do have so called "grape snobbishness" with wine drinkers, many who drink Cab won't ever touch anything else, many who drink Pinot Noir won't drink anything else, many who drink Burgundy (Pinot Noir grown in France) won't ever drink Pinot grown outside of Burgundy, etc, etc, etc. But I know few wine drinkers who won't also drink beer.
Darrell,

Interesting points about movies and wine. I can only say that you keep forgetting who comes up with these scripts in the first place, the so called "intellectual elite" (the rest of us are treated and taken as simpletons who can't ever come up with a thought of our own). Winemakers have a saying, "It takes a lot of beer to make wine", and this is a true statement, I can assure you of that. During crush all the refrigerators are stuffed with beer.

And you really don't want to know true stories about these self appointed Hollywood wine aficionados. I dread every time I have to pour at some of their events, my wife wanted to choke a few (literally) on some occasions. Only about 2% of them would be able to tell a 2BC and Screaming Eagle apart and they are mostly driven by price and points.