Old 10-16-2008, 06:57 AM   #1
massphatness
Where's my buffaloooo ...

First Name: Vin
Trading: (206)
ERdM
massphatness has disabled reputation
Default Smoking A Much Older Cigar

I hosted a herf this past weekend and lit up a Havana No. 7 which had been gifted to me a while back by a BOTL many of you know: DBall. When he first gave me the stick he told me it was circa 1950's. I knew I had to set it aside and choose just the right moment. And since Dan got hitched this past weekend, I thought it was the perfect opportunity to break out that cigar in his honor.

Having never smoked a cigar with that much age, I went through the whole smoking process as I do with any stick. And while the cigar was very smooth & mellow, it got me to thinking if there might be a better (more proper?) way to enjoy a cigar that has 30, 40 50+ years of age on it.

For instance, the cigar had been wrapped in cello -- I simply (thought carefully) removed it, toasted, lit and smoked. Should I have waited a bit after removing the cello? My first few draws -- God, I almost said puffs -- had a distinct mustiness to them, like I was smoking dry dirt. I almost freaked because I wanted it to be a great experience. Fortunately the stick settled in after about a an inch and smoked great.

Any of the lunatics in the asylum have any thoughts?