View Single Post
Old 01-21-2012, 05:51 PM   #4
Mark THS
Herfing at 115°

Trading: (0)
Partagas
Mark THS is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Cigar Band Coffee Table (Complete Project Recap)

To any furniture purists- this is where I apologize. This is not a period refurbishment, but a custom band project, so what you might see next is in the eye of the beholder.

I originally saw the use of epoxy for bar tops in college. I'd seen a few guys lay down bottlecaps and pour a layer of two-part epoxy over the top, creating a glasslike finish. That is where the inspiration came from.

Now, I love the look of new cigar bands, and I've used them for many other projects, but what I really wanted for this project was to create the most timeline piece possible. I tracked down a guy in the Detroit area that had a substantial lot of UNUSED antique cigarbands. They were banded with twine, just like that would look like if they showed up in the factory ready for banding. I also found a few clean boxtop inserts, the type very typical with old cigar boxes. I love the look of old cigar bands- lots of reds and golds, which gave this a very uniform look.

I started by laying down a base.

That base was followup with a sparse layer of bands and a layer of epoxy.

I layed down a few more bands and box top inserts above that layer. The general idea between many layers of epoxy is to create depth. The end result will be many layers of 'floating' bands

(continued in next post)
Mark THS is offline   Reply With Quote