View Single Post
Old 12-20-2010, 11:56 AM   #854
SvilleKid
Yes I am a Pirate

Trading: (52)
SvilleKid has disabled reputation
Default Re: The Bourbon Thread!!

I don't think there are any rules as to starter bourbons. I don't think price is a rule when it comes to tastes, personally. There are expensive bourbons out there that I like, but also that I don't like. Same with cheaper bourbons.

Personally, I didn't care for Bullit. Gave the bottle away after two drinks. But, that's me and my tastes. Bourbon will be like cigars. Each will have his own taste, and will drink what he likes. I started liking bourbon with Marker's Mark. Thought it was the best, until I tried Woodford Reserve. Thought it was the best, til I tried Blanton's. Thought it was the best until I tried.... Well, you get the picture! I have had bottles of over two dozen bourbons at a time in the past. Still have over a dozen. I probably enjoy sippin' Conecuh Ridge more than most of them, but it's because, personally, I like molasses, and I get strong hints of molasses from that one, more than any other. But again, it's a personal taste thing!

One thing to note: ALL bourbons go downhill after they are opened. They oxidize. The longer they are open, the more they will lose quality. Thus, you are better served to have only a few bottles opened at a time, drink those up before you open new bottles. I try to finish any open bottles within a year or less. I'm not a nightly drinker, sometimes not even a monthly drinker. Thus, I seldom have more than a couple of bottles open at a time.

The best bet for those new to bourbon is to buy smaller size bottles to get an idea of the specific bourbons. Then, graduate to larger bottles for the ones you like the most. This will be a problem for many of the upper end bourbons, as they usually are bottled in 750 ml only (at least for my state). Good bars, with a good selection of top-shelve bourbons, is a good way to try them one glass at a time. While it may cost you $5- $10 or more for a glass, it's better than $75 or more for a bottle that you then find isn't to your liking.

I would suggest starting with the bourbons "neat". I'm not a fan of diluting bourbon with water. Some people use ice, which gives a "spectrum" of tastes, from almost neat at the start, to maybe half and half at the end as the ice melts. Personally, after I've had a sip or two neat, less bourbon and more water pales, and I lose interest. But, I usually take a good hour to enjoy a couple ounces of bourbon, because I truly sip slowly, and fully enjoy each sip. If I wanted to do shooters, I sure wouldn't recommend anything above $20 a bottle!

Again, all the above is MY preferences. And, just like cigars, those are going to be different with each person. For those looking for answers on the "starter" question, by all means, look at the suggestions here. However, DO NOT be discouraged because you don't find one or more of the suggestions to your liking. And, like cigars, remember, if at first the specific bourbon doesn't bring cheers of joy to your taste buds, don't dismiss it forever. Develop your palette, learn what you like, then go back and give the discarded ones another try. You might like it the second time around.