View Single Post
Old 12-10-2008, 10:20 AM   #96
silentjon

Default Re: Hail To The Redskins!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squid View Post
silentjon....I don't believe I singled out moss or portis as being involved in legal problems. The attempt at HUMOR was in response to Made in Dade's comments about getting more Hurricanes on the Skins roster. In fact, I put the smiley with the cigar beside the comment. Again....HUMOR.

However, i probably don't need to provide an education on the number of present and former Miami Hurricanes that have been involved in an extensive number of off AND on field incidents. But, we could start this year with the 31 Miami and FIU players that were suspended in what has been referred to by many as the "Thug Brawl." We could go back over the years where Sports Illustrated called for the shut down, 12 years ago, for the football program to be shut down for being out of control. Some of Miami's finest have blessed the NFL---including Michael Irvin and his many off the field escapades or Ray Lewis and his murder charges, or the recruit Willie Williams whose Arrest Record was longer than his High School Transcript. The program have never been known for its virtues of cleanliness....but, I will say, Shannon has run a much cleaner program and seems to be righting the ship from its many years of bad behavior.

Again....the attempt at humor was apparently lost in the translation. Sorry you didn't get it.
I get it was a joke, but I still take objection towards the term thug.

1) The FIU-Miami brawl was indeed a black-eye for Miami. However, they have been other brawls in college football - Clemson and South Carolina for one.
2) Willie Williams was the number one ranked defensive recruit in 2004 and recruited by most major colleges (including Florida, Florida State and Auburn). While enrolled at Miami, he had zero legal issues. They same can't be said once he transferred.
3) Indeed, both Lewis and Irvin had their share of issues in the NFL. But maybe we should also call West Virginia Thug U for Adam Jones and Chris Henry.
4) The amounts of legal incidents at Miami have been minimal in recent time. The same can't be true for a lot of college football programs. Florida State and Penn State come to mind.