Grrrrrr

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (37)
Navy (Served With Honor)
T.G has disabled reputation
Default Re: What's in your smoker?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mosesbotbol View Post
I fear barely keepin one intake open will make it die out. I'll give it a go the next time. I want to try sand in it and will get some on Tuesday. I tried my last brisket with no water and even just one barely open it was getting too hot.

The smoker will go more than eight hours, but I have keep opening the intake more to keep it going, so it's not really set and forget. At that I point I may as well just add more charcoal.

Maybe the Kingsford Comp does not last that long? This is the only brand I have used.

I would like to try the coffee can method to get the charcoal spread, anyone try it before?
It shouldn't die out, if you look around on the site I linked to earlier, there are plenty of documented long cooks with 2 vents closed and the third barely open.

If you have to mess with the intakes that much, something else is wrong, either your technique or the cooker. Try following Jim Minion's advice to the letter and you might just be surprised at what the WSM can do. If you want complete set and forget, then get a stoker or a guru controller, they aren't permitted for competition though AFAIK.

My last few cooks I've used nothing but KF-comp, and I'll sum up my early impressions for BBQing with it as "meh". Biggest problem is that it burns too quickly and I've had to up the volume of fuel I load in by about 30% to get the same length cooks as I was getting with KF blue bag. It doesn't do anything for the flavor, good or bad - it's the same. So basically, it costs more, you need to use more, you get less in a bag and it doesn't do anything special. Once I use up the KF comp I have here, I think I'm done with it.

If you want a really long burn time, pick up some Rancher brand from Home Depot. That stuff burns forever.

Can't say that I've ever heard anything earth shattering about the coffe can MM.

Last edited by T.G; 04-03-2010 at 11:09 PM.
T.G is offline   Reply With Quote