View Single Post
Old 11-05-2013, 12:59 PM   #12
Adriftpanda
Peter's Daddy

First Name: Huy
Trading: (74)
Guantanamera
Adriftpanda has much to be proud ofAdriftpanda has much to be proud ofAdriftpanda has much to be proud ofAdriftpanda has much to be proud ofAdriftpanda has much to be proud ofAdriftpanda has much to be proud ofAdriftpanda has much to be proud ofAdriftpanda has much to be proud ofAdriftpanda has much to be proud of
Default Re: Let's Talk Supplements (again)

Some good advice from Tom and Rob. Here's my take on bulking.

NO ONE WANTS TO ADD ON 15LB of MARBLING FAT! There's a difference between clean bulk any dirty bulk. Dirty bulk isn't hard to do, stuff you damn face with high caloric foods. While clean bulk is weighing things out and being methodical about your surplus.

Dirty bulk and clean bulk is not about the types of food you eat. What I mean is, eating clean doesn't necessarily mean you only have to eat egg whites, brown rice, or yams whereas dirty bulk meaning eating ice cream, burgers and cake. The difference is how big of a surplus you create for yourself.

Everyone has a maintenance level of calories. For example, I try and maintain about 2600-2700 calories a day. I'm not in a deficit or surplus. But if I wanted to bulk, I would have to create a surplus, so by doing that I would have to consume MORE food. Now the difference between the clean and dirty bulk, is how many calories over the surplus you create.

Now, I recommend a slow and steady clean bulk. How? I suggest adding 100-200 calories surplus. It doesn't sound like a whole lot but, what you're doing is minimizing fat gains while trying to maximize your muscle gains. Adding 100 calorie surplus or 500 calories, it doesn't matter. You WILL GAIN FAT! But that doesn't mean you have to get fat, right? With the smaller surplus I recommend, you will put on weight slow (1-2lb a month) and some will see this as pointless BUT if your son is in this for the long run and you want to see some mass gains or lean gain, he will have to be patient. Muscle gains is a relatively slow process. So, with that being said. There's no point of dirty bulk because a majority of that will be fat.

Your son: 6'2, 175 and exercise daily (intensively)
Maintenance calories per day 2,938 (round up to 2,950)

Here is an example of why I do not recommend dirty bulk. If he was to eat whatever he wanted and created a HUGE amount of surplus, say 500-600 calories.

2950 + 500 extra calories
That is = 1lb a week, 4lb a week, and 48lb a year

How much of that is really muscle? So that, is why I recommend a slow steady bulk. He is young, he will continue to play sports and exercise daily. There's no need to rush and bulk up fast.

As far as supplements, I would just stick to the basics. Whey protein, casein protein, and some bcaa. Anything else is just a waste of money in my opinion.
I hope this helps.