View Single Post
Old 11-04-2013, 06:59 PM   #2
RobR1205
Starting a new chapter

First Name: Rob
Trading: (19)
HUpmann Army (Disabled Vet)
RobR1205 has a spectacular aura aboutRobR1205 has a spectacular aura aboutRobR1205 has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Let's Talk Supplements (again)

I definitely relate to this post in many ways, so allow to give you my experience from a young'uns point of view. To give you an idea of where I currently stand: I am 6'0", turn 21 on December 5, and weight 205 pounds (<15% body fat). Strength-wise, I would like to put on a little bit more bulk and gain a little more strength, but I am definitely close to my goal and am almost ready to start maintaining myself -- any bigger, and I won't be able to shop at certain stores anymore (already grew out of Abercrombie/Hollister's largest shirt sizes)

But let's rewind the clocks almost three years ago when I was 18. This is when I first started to consider joining a gym and bulking up. I was 5'11" at the time, and only 155 pounds. The only sport I participated in was karate, which I had been doing (and still am doing) since I was 5. Karate, being a very cardio-based sport (especially sparring) kept me very lean.

To make a long story short, the supplements that I recommend for someone so young, and that have worked for me (mind you everyone's body is different, so who knows if you'll find this helpful) are the following:

What I consider essential:
Mass Gainer: (high calorie/carbohydrate protein powder): Since I had such a fast metabolism, the food I was eating, whether it was salads or McDonald's, kept me thin no matter what. The extra 800-1000 calories each day started to put some healthy weight on me. Plus the extra ~50g of protein helped muscle really develop. A word of caution: I really only recommend this to someone starting out and looking to put on some weight. Since I have such a large frame now, mass gainer really only causes me to get a nice gut and nothing else.

Protein Powder: Start off with something basic and relatively cheap -- no need to go for the most expensive one on the shelf. I started off with, currently use, and have a lot of success with Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard Whey. You get a lot of bang for your buck, and it's really not half bad. Just watch, a lot of proteins have BCAAs already mixed into their formula, so no need to buy BCAAs separately if you go this route.

Multivitamins: A very underrated, but important supplement. I found that I was not getting all the nutrients I needed from my daily food intake. Use it a supplement to a good diet, not as a replacement if you're eating crap. Micky D's and vitamins do not balance each other out.

What I consider optional:
Preworkout: Gives you a good boost in the gym. Essentially just caffeine and vasculodilaters (opens your blood vessels). However, I would recommend this supplement once you get into a good groove in the gym and you know what you are doing. I use preworkouts to get me over "plateaus" so I don't get overly dependent on it. It is certainly not essential, though. Many preworkouts contain "creatine" compounds, so no need to take it separately if it's already in one of your supplements. I like to limit myself to no more that 5g a day; 5g-15g if I decide to "load" during the first week I take it.

What I would stay away from:
Anything with the words "test", "andro", "hormone", or the like. At this age, your son is producing all the hormones he needs, and more -- no need to throw off his natural hormone balance. There are many perfectly legal testosterone boosters, maintainers, or whatever you want to call them out there, but I, as well as your son, are way too young to messing with this supplement.

My personal words of advice: results won't show over night, so don't get discouraged and don't go hunting for more supplements. As long as your son gets a good night's sleep, eats well, and drinks plenty of water, he should start seeing results in a couple of months. It has taken me 2.5 years to gain about 50 pounds, but that is a result of the above advice that I mentioned. Supplements are just that, supplements. They should be used to augment an already existing healthy diet and lifestyle. Just use them as they are intended, your son should be fine.

Last edited by RobR1205; 11-04-2013 at 07:14 PM.
RobR1205 is offline   Reply With Quote